Taught by Kiza Armour
YOU have reached an OUTDATED page! The current PMHS Robotics Site has moved to http://sites.google.com/a/pittsfieldnhschools.org/robotics/
Course Overview: This is a project-based course using LEGO RoboLab equipment. Students design, program and construct robots to accomplish specified challenges as they build problem solving skills.
Link to Robotics Curriculum Document
° Programming with Variables & Displaying to LCD
° TASK 1 & TASK 2 must be completed before you can resume work on the physical hill climb robot
° http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com/ (download the Bridge Builder Game, not the other games)
Each assignment is worth a specific number of points. Student grades are calculated as number of points earned divided by number of points possible. In addition to periodic quizzes on concepts/laws discussed in class, assignments will include lab exploratories & challenges, engineering projects, and journal entries.
Journals: Most of the course time is used to design and construct various robots/mechanisms. During this project work, students will maintain a journal of design tests, changes, and reasoning. The journal will be used to assess the student's ability to engineer creative solutions, applying scientific principles.
Projects: Most of the course time is used to design and construct various robots/mechanisms. Student constructions are evaluated according to a rubric (often developed with input from the students).
Quizzes: Written quizzes consisting of multiple choice, free response, and/or calculation questions are given periodically. Written quizzes are mainly used to evaluate knowledge of specific concepts/laws, rather than engineering skill development. Task-based quizzes are individual, one period assignments requiring students to design and construct a solution for a specific task/problem.
Participation: Students are graded on their involvement in class discussions & project work.
Materials & Equipment: (click for link to course equipment & materials, by unit)
You will need a 1” or ½” 3-ring binder devoted only to this class.
Expectations / Rules:
· No foul language, no racial/religious slurs or other demeaning remarks.
· If you would not want your parents to see your behavior, then it's probably not appropriate. If you are ever unclear about whether a behavior is appropriate, ASK.
· Obey all safety rules and specific lab & equipment precautions. NO HORSEPLAY.
· If you break anything, or see anything broken, inform me immediately.
Any blatantly unsafe behavior will result in IMMEDIATE loss of robot privileges for at least that day, and subsequent written assignment. Removal from this class may result.
· Come to class with all necessary supplies, including a positive attitude.
· If a situation arises where you feel I have treated you unfairly or have done something to irritate you, please talk to me. If you are not comfortable bringing it up in class, see me after class.
Consequences of disrupting class: